Training and competitions in Sweden

I am back in Sweden enjoying the lower temperatures in comparison to Texas that is having a heat wave. The trek over the Atlantic is always fairly tiring, so I take it easy the first days. My first training was to be a mountain bike ride on some easy trails (mostly gravel roads) around my log cabin in the province of Dalecarlia, or Dalarna in Swedish.

Well, after 4 miles I had a chain drop in an uphill and in my desperate attempts to free my feet, I peddled and twisted until I got the chain stuck. At least I got my feet off and avoided a fall. There was nothing to do but to walk back. Four miles, but I was able to roll downhill!

A quick trip to the nearest town where I found a very nice bike shop that fixed the problem by the next morning. Then, I managed to ride 27 miles without problems. But I realize, I will have to tackle harder trails if I am going to have a good time on  the race "Cykelvasan" in August. It is more or less on the same trails where the cross country ski race "Vasaloppet" follows.


race for elite women

Temperatures here are a bit lower than normal, although I am told it was very hot a few weeks ago. Due to Covid cancellations two years running, I was signed up for a swimming race Saturday 9th of July. "Vansbrosimningen" is a 3km open water swimming events in the rivers Vanån and Österdalälven. Weather was around 60f (16C) in the air, and about 65f (18C) in the water. Coming directly from Texas, this is a little cold... I managed to buy neoprene water socks that fitted me well and I used them during the race. It rained before and during the race but I was not cold. I did this race three years ago and I was about 4 minutes faster this time, glad there is a some progress in my swim. I really was not that tired at the end. This is a large and well known open water race, one of the largest in the world. This year over 9000 participants were signed up. 


The day after I felt good and signed up for a same day trail run in the town of Mora. I did the same run last years, and I knew it was quite hard. We are talking trails, roots, trees to jump over, mud and sand and lots of ups and downs. I started slow and held an even pace and was 2 minutes faster than last year! I am very pleased with that. While I was tired, I think I was more tired last year. I think the cold temperatures are helping my performance and recovery




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23