Cykelvasan 90, 2024

Cykelvasan (Vasa race on bicycle) is the largest MTB race in the Nordic countries, and it approximately follows the famous Vasaloppet cross country ski track with checkpoints at all the classical controls. Almost 20,000 participants were registered over several races and distances. I was in the main and the longest race called Cykelvasan 90 (it is actually 96km long) with over 5000 participants.

Three days before this year's Cykelvasa August 10, I felt I was free from my cold and that I could participate. Five weeks with very little training had gone by. For this reason, I knew I had to take it easy to endure 96km (almost 60 miles) on an MTB.

Fortunately, the weather was good on racing day. I noticed very few women in my start group. I have done this race and distance once before, but the track had been slightly changed. Instead of doing the initial climb on a meandering gravel road, we had a much steeper climb on the Vasaloppet cross country ski track. I could barely do it without stepping off and walking. I prefer the old track, and I don't think I will ever do this hill again.

Then there was a lot of new coarse gravel which made for a very shaky ride. I got exhausted from the shaking and it hurt my neck. It was tough even though I never was in competition mode, I just peddled on and tried to reach the end. Fortunately, the second half of the race was very enjoyable.

I know the second half of the track quite well and it was smoother than previous years as some of the muddiest parts had been cleaned up. I finished with a time of 5 hours 41 minutes and 5 seconds, 5th in my age group. I was not that exhausted either. Two years earlier I had 5 hours and 18 minutes on a slightly shorter course. 

I was satisfied with my race, and I did not have any ill effects afterwards except for one day of a slightly sore throat.

Waiting to start







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog

Cleat covers for biking shoes

Do not wait until it is too late!