Catching the updraft

Why do some people work out regularly and struggle through hard training while others give up? Character? Maybe, but I do not think it is the whole story. I am not a psycologist, but I will share my observations, and my own experiences.



Success breeds success and failure breeds failure.

Even today, at age 63, I get a sinking feeling when I train with people much better than myself. I can reason that they are younger and that I am doing FINE considering my age. But it does not work that way. Always behind, the downward spiral of self doubt, lack of motivation and lack of energy and enjoyment starts. Its not fun AND my physical ability declines.

In contrast, when I am ahead, the energy flows, I can push myself much harder, I get better!

Society often credits athletes with all sorts of fine personal characteristics and while there is something admirable in being a high achiever, my view is that we should not exaggerate the mental strenghts of athletes. It is mentally easy to be a winner.

I know of athletes that acted mentally "strong" (incredible hard training programs, pushing through bad luck and injuries) when they were winning, but showed "weak" tendencies (giving up easily, not pushing themselves, finding excuses) after longer periods of poor results (often due to illness or injury). 

It is the psychology that is different, and I suspect in the extension, our hormone levels and physiology that gets affected by success and failure. 

If this is true, how can we control the situation? This is what works for me:

Find an appropriate training group and sign up for appropriate competitions. Appropriate is that your ability is in the upper half of the group. (Don't be the best though.)

Do not sign up for competitions that you cannot complete; for example, if you have never done a triathlon, do not start with an Ironman. It does not matter that you say to yourself, it is ok to fail, you simply will not feel good about it. Better the feeling; I could have done more! Well, next time, you sign up for more!

Plan to avoid failure. A series of failures will bring your spirit and body down and success lifts you up.

Plan for success and slowly increase the expectations.

/Gunilla


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23