Can you get used to cold water?


I do not like swimming in cold water, but I don't dislike it as much as I used to. Cold water is soo...cold.


I am from Sweden and lets face it, the water is cold there, even in the summer. You either tolerate the temperature, or you never swim outdoors.

When I lived in Houston, Texas, I did not have to deal with that, I swam in pools that would get too hot in the summer. When starting triathlons, I was so relieved to find that the open water temperature on my first race was comfortable. But I soon had to confront lower temperatures.

In 2018, I was to swim a Swedish open water event called Vansbrosimningen. I had bought a full cover wet suit and I went to Sweden in early June to start training in a lake. The water temperature was maybe 57f (14C). This is not extremely cold by any means, but it felt icy to me, even with the wetsuit on. My neck almost immediately locked up, everything that came out of the wetsuit ached when water contact was made. I almost panicked, I can't do this!

Next day I tried again, hmm, cold, but I could swim for a few minutes and every day was better than the previous. Of course, the summer got warmer and race day was easy. I was used to the cold water and it really was not a big deal.

So I learned my lesson, you can get used to cold water. First open water swim every year is difficult and not enjoyable, but it is better already the second time. The third or fourth time, you wonder what the fuzz was all about and you enjoy it! Cold water swimming is refreshing and invigorating, research even says it battles senility and makes you younger. Personally, I have noticed that it reduces inflammation.

This is how I do it. I go in slowly and let my feet get used to the temperature before proceeding in stages to deeper water. I never shock my body by jumping in. The first minute fully swimming is an act of willpower, but very soon I feel ok and I start to really enjoy it. The key is that I know it will be fine.

When I do this regularly, my body responds quickly and I can even feel it flushing in anticipation. A neoprene hat is very helpful to keep comfortable. I have tried swimming socks and gloves, but they did not work for me, probably I did not have the right size. They are prohibited to use in competition anyway.

I practice swimming in low temperatures so I can enjoy normal, open water swimming events. But to be clear, I am not dealing with extreme cold water, like ice swimming, that is beyond me. 

So yes, you can learn to better tolerate cold water.

/Gunilla

Vansbrosimningen




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23