Recap and forward planning

The year went more or less as planned. The highpoint was probably that I completed a half Ironman in April on a decent time without incident. In May, I qualified for the World Championships in Bermuda, but it got cancelled in the last minute due to Covid. US Nationals in Milwaukee in August went ok, but not great, I was too slow on the bike. Did a better race on the draft legal championship in Tempe and ended up in 4th place. I had fun on several local competitions, so overall, I am happy with the year.

I think my swimming has improved a little but not as much as I had hoped for. My technique is better but my upper body is just too weak. The running is holding more or less steady, biking is difficult to assess, but approximately the same as last year. I am more or less as fast as 2020, despite being a year older, so actually, I am getting a little better.


Year 2022, I am 64 in January so I am the oldest in my age group. There is a little loss of ability every year, so my expectations for next year are different. I am going to focus on experience racing, and not so much on the championships, with one exception. I am qualified for sprint distance in the World Championship in Montreal in June.

In February, I am doing something very different, I have signed up for a cross-country ski race in Sweden, the Vasaloppet. I skied when I was young, but last time was 15 years ago. To complete the race (45km), I have to buy new equipment and I am planning to go to Sweden in February and practice for four weeks before the race. I am relying on my general fitness and that old technique will kick in quickly.

Other foci are open water swimming competitions during July in Sweden, Vansbrosimningen (3km), one of the world's largest open water races and Swim the Arctic (3km) where we swim in Torne River from Finland to Sweden at midnight, crossing the Arctic Circle. Results are unimportant, I am not a competitive swimmer, this is for the experience. I am also thinking of doing some orienteering races and maybe some mountain biking races for a change.

Welcome 2022, let's go!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23