Performance in warm weather = not good for me

I guess we all know that it is harder to perform in hot weather, but I am coming to realize that the difference is bigger than I imagined. I keep statistics of all my training and competition, and the evidence is clear: hot weather is disastrous for me. 

All my record times are in the winter season. The trend is clearest in running. Below is a comparison of my times on a 3.1 miles flat run course, and a 2.8 miles hilly run course. I also show temperature and heart rate.


Best times are in the colder weather, and on top of that, my heart rate is lower despite the record time. Heart rate is increased in warmer weather.

On many occasions during warmer weather, I think I have done really well, I pushed harder than normal, and the feeling of exertion is almost unbearable. Then I see the time, not good and I am disappointed.

Thinking back, it has been a pattern my entire life, winter training is going really well, I am doing good times, but when temperatures rise, performance drops like a rock.


Because I have been training in Sweden during the summers, I have no comparison times for the extreme summer months. It is probably for the best; I am not sure training in very hot temperatures is helpful for your overall fitness. (I do agree that training in hot weather helps you tolerate higher temperatures.)

I promise, I hydrate enough, I use electrolytes, and I poor cold water over my head at every possible opportunity. It helps, but still, I find the heat hard to survive. I assume everyone has the same problems, more or less, but maybe I decline a bit more...??? My family for generations is from the Arctic Circle, where I was born...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23