Wrap up and forward planning

This has been a good athletic year for me. It started with Vasaloppet cross country ski race March 1 in Sweden, an old ambition of mine. Finally, I did it, and it went so well. 

In mid-April the Tour de France organization came to Texas and I joined their amateur race/ride, placing 2nd in the 60+ age group on 60 hilly miles. 

Then, the inaugural multisport festival in Irving, TX in late April - early May. Three races for me, two of them US national championships, resulting in a bronze medal in mixed sprint triathlon relay and a 7th place in draft legal sprint triathlon, and a 1st on the Olympic distance (non-championship). I hold the mixed sprint relay as the most fun race of the year.


In June it was time for World Championship in Montreal, always exciting. A 28th place in individual sprint and 7th place in mixt sprint relay. I enjoyed every minute.

Back to Sweden for swimming over the Arctic circle in the midnight sun, and an MTB race on the Vasa trail, both well worth doing. 

I finished the year by winning my age group in the Rock 'n' Roll 10k road running race in San Antonio (TX) in December.

And these are just the highlights, there was more! I had such a good year, hardly even a single day of illness. It shows in my fitness levels, my run times have improved and Strava fitness scores have hit the roof. 

Planning forward for 2023, I have to be realistic, I hope to repeat the successes, but I realize I might not. The good news is that I am changing age group, from being the oldest (64), I am now going to be the youngest in the 65-69 age group, a small advantage.

First, I have the Vasa ski race in Sweden again, this time the full distance 90k. I am uncertain about this undertaking; it is marginal for me to do it. If the weather goes against me, it might be too much. Then I have the Tour de France bike race again in San Antonio, and the multisport triathlon festival later in April. The main focus of the year is the World Championships in sprint triathlon in Hamburg, Germany in July, I am in both individual and relay.

The above races are the highlights for the year, culminating with the World Championships. Everything after that is purely recreational and for fun. Maybe I do a half ironman, or maybe I create an Ironman relay team for a race or two later in the year. I think I will do the San Antonio Rock 'n' Roll again.

Happy New Year 2023!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23