L'etape San Antonio by Tour de France

This is a bike race for the public and a few pro bikers in cooperation with the Tour de France organization. They have races in various cities all over the world. The first US race was in San Antonio last year, and as I live within easy driving distance, I joined for the training effect and the fun. This years race day was April 16. 

I had first signed up for the long race of 100 miles, but I changed to 60 miles, because later in the year, I learned that the national championship in draft legal sprint triathlon was going to occur only 5 days later. I figured I could recover in time from a 60-mile race, but not a 100-mile. My training up to the race for the last month and half has been entirely focused on the sprint races.  

The day was not too hot, but windy, up to 30 miles an hour gusts was in the forecast. I arrived early and got a perfect parking spot next to the venue, I kept all my gear in the car until it was time to line up for the race. Wise from my last race, I took a fairly aggressive start position quite far up in the field and at 7.03 am, I passed the start line. 

I had decided to keep a steady pace and not push very hard until the last 20 miles. This is a hilly course, 3032 feet of climb according to Strava, and I wanted to have energy all the way to the end. The first 25 miles went easy, maybe I had tail wind. Then there was a turn into a smaller road and the headwind hit. It was also where some of the biggest hills were, and the road quality was not the best. I am not good in head wind and the gusts had me seriously wobbling. For a while, I considered leaving the race, I was frightened of falling and getting injured. All I did for maybe 10 - 15 miles was focusing of keeping the bike upright in the wind gusts. After another turn, everything got better. Still windy, but not at the same level as up on the high hills and the road surface was smooth. 

As I was in second place last year, and the winner gets a yellow Tour de France Jersey, I kept on looking for competitors in my class. At about 40 miles when the road got better, a lady that I judged was in my age group passed me. I also judged that she was too fast for me. Well, well, I had not expected to win so I decided to keep a decent pace, but not max effort to the end. At about 50 miles the same lady was at the side of the road with a flat tire.

It's not over until it's over. Don't give up, go to the finish line, everything can happen. Maybe this was my lucky day! I gave what I could for the last 10 miles, the lady never caught up. 

I did not win, I got third place, which was not bad especially as the age group was 60-70 (I am 65). Overall, a fine day!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carbon plated running shoes

Do not wait until it is too late!

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23