Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23


This year, I participated in 3 national champion ship events: individual super sprint time trial triathlon, draft legal sprint triathlon and draft-legal mixed relay triathlon. I am now the youngest in my age group (65-69), and I hoped to place top 10, maybe top 5 in something.

The first race was the super sprint time trial, which also was my first triathlon competition in 2023. I decided to use bike shoes for the ride (5k), and not try to save time by biking in running shoes as I did last year. I also swam the 250m in wetsuit, I have calculated that despite additional transit time to change, it is faster. 

As this time trial has individual start, I had no idea of my position as the race progressed. But it felt ok, I passed people on the bike and on the run (1.2k), I shortened the gap to the runner in front of me. My time was 24.57 and it was enough for a second place in my age group! Way better than expected.


Next day was the draft legal sprint triathlon (750m swim, 12-mile bike and 3.1-mile run). We all started at the same time, so first to finish wins. My goggles were leaking on the swim, and I had to empty them several time, which was annoying and time consuming. On the bike leg, I got in a group of four people, and I pulled the most. When one of my competitors, which snagged 3rd place on the super sprint, accelerated towards the end, I tried, but could not follow. I resigned myself that she would beat me in this race. The last mile, I took it slightly easy and focused on spinning my legs to get energy back into them.

On the run, I counted 20 seconds distance to my rival ahead. We passed some slower runners, but the distance between us remained. I judged, I could not increase my speed and keep going to the end. Then about halfway, there was a drink station. My competitor stopped, she wobbled, and downed two mugs. I know that wobble, I knew she was at the end of her strength. I downed a sport drink and poured water over my head, but I never stopped, and took in 5-10 seconds right there. Slowly, I closed the gap and passed. I expected a hard fight the last half mile, but she could not follow. It was not enough for the podium, I got 4th place, for the third time in this race.

After a day's rest, it was time for the relay, two guys and two women. I had the last leg, and we finished third in our age group. What a great long weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes