Triathlon is expensive

It really is. Essentials are a racing bike and all the additions like helmet and bike shoes which will be 2000 dollars to stratospheric. Then we have regular access to a pool, basically a gym membership and on top of that several pairs of high-quality running shoes, tri suits, swim goggles etc. 

Entry fees to races vary a lot but a regular minor race is often 100 to 200 dollars. Ironman races can be everything from 400 dollars (and that "cheap" is unusual) to about 1000 dollars depending on location and time of registration. 

Now you need to get to the race, if it's local and you can drive, you need a car that can transport your bike, and often you need a night or two at a hotel in order to not arrive sleep deprived and exhausted. 

If your ambition is national and international races, everything escalates, add on bike transportation (packing bag and fees), air flights, hotels and special race kits. For winter triathlon you may need to pay for transport of skis (another piece of expensive equipment) and bike, and I am talking about another bike. (Many dedicated triathletes have 3-5 different bikes, tri bike, road bike, mountain bike, old tri bike, gravel bike). And an indoor bike trainer is so convenient... and Swift subscription of course... 

I definitely don't go to all races I am interested in due to costs, including declining World Championship spots. 

It is the big races that drives my motivation. I am not sure of what to do for next year, I have a World Championship in Spain, but to qualify for anything else important, I need to either go to the multisport festival in Nebraska in June or to Nationals in New Jersey in September. If they place Worlds in the USA 2025, I will be kicking myself for not qualifying. We are also talking about committing to relay teams. I am thinking of going to Colorado in February for my first winter triathlon, and it will cost an arm and a leg. A decision about what to prioritize will have to be made soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23