US National Championship in Winter Triathlon, Breckenridge Colorado, February 23-25, 2024

Without previous experience in winter triathlon, I signed up for US National Championship in duathlon (run + ski) and triathlon (run + bike + ski). With all my participation in regular triathlon and cross-country skiing, how hard can it be? Answer: very hard.

Maybe it was the altitude (>9000 feet), maybe all the fresh snow, but it was exhausting. I was worried about the altitude, and I also needed to get back into skiing, so I arrived in Breckenridge a week before the competitions. 

I got an extra workout right away the first morning when I had to clear my car of snow and shovel my way out to the road. I did not want to push my limits the first day and skiing felt fine, but really, that slow? Mile splits of 12-14 minutes! I checked the Strava segments, and I was quite high on them, for my age group number 1 or 2. I realized high altitude has a big impact.

After a few days, I rented a fat bike and tried the biking. It had snowed in the night and even though the track had been prepared, it was loose to bike in. I slid, I had to walk uphill, and average speed was 5.75 miles/hour. In these conditions I understood why I had been advised to use a fat bike and not a mountain bike. Testing to run was not much better, 14 minutes mile split on a 1-mile test. Really, how slow can I be?

My hopes for the upcoming races were sinking and my opinion increasingly leaned towards that snow is for skiing only.

Well, I was here, I would do the competitions. Duathlon came first with about a 2-mile run and 3.5-mile ski. It was a small field and we all started together. Even though the distance was short, I knew by now that I had to start modestly to last to the end. I used an old pair of my regular running shoes (Brooks Ghost) that I had put screws in the soles for traction. It worked quite well, and I ended up in the middle of the field which is good for my age. 

I knew I was in the lead in my age group, but I fumbled in the transition. It is hard to tie ski boots quickly. I was also hot, and I took off both my neck cover and headband. 

Skiing went fine, I had good grip on the uphill.  Everyone was fairly slow, and I could keep the lead all the way to the finish. I finished as the US National Champion in Women 65 - 69! (Who cares). 

I was signed to do a 15k (about 10 miles) cross country ski race the day after, but I decided to skip it. I am sure I would have enjoyed the race very much, because I like cross country skiing, but I had not totally recovered from the previous day, and I had to focus on the upcoming triathlon championship.

The triathlon had about 2 miles running and 3 miles bike and 3 miles of skiing. It was quite warm, around freezing and the last minute, I stripped down to a single thin shirt and no head or neckgear. I stuck to the same tactic of saving myself for the end. Run went fine, I beat some people that were ahead on me on the duathlon, the bike course was well prepared and much faster than on practice, I felt it went ok. My transitions were also better, I had put in speed laces on my ski boots which were much easier to handle in the cold. I went full out on the ski and speed was good as the tracks were quite hard. After about halfway I realized I was not threatened from behind and I secured my second National Championship.

In hindsight, I think this was a well-organized and fun event. I needed the practice and adaptation to the altitude by arriving a week early, I am sure it helped my results. I was faster than people I don't normally beat in summer triathlon. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carbon plated running shoes

Do not wait until it is too late!

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23