Multisport Nationals, regular triathlons, cross triathlon and open water swim!
A lot has happened since my last post. Training has been going well, and I have been getting stronger and faster.
In April, I signed up for the Texasman triathlon, serving as the North Texas Championship. During the swim, a storm came in and it became the most difficult swim I have ever done, waves were big! I am comfortable in big waves, but I was not fast. I think the swim got canceled for the Olympic group that had a later start. Fortunately, no one got in serious trouble. I felt strong, won my class and became Grand Master too! Thats quite an achievement as Grand Master is for 55 and older, and I am 68.
In May it was time for Multisport Nationals. I had signed up for two duathlons and one triathlon. It started with supersprint duathlon and considering all my injuries and illnesses, I did very well and secured second place! I think my speedwork on the treadmill gave results. But I was tired, clearly not well trained. I was so tired, I decided to not participate in the supersprint triathlon the next day. Previous years I have done supersprint tri and du on the same day without problems!
Sprint duathlon was heavy; I completed at 5th place.
Later in May, I did the Muleshoe cross triathlon, which I also won. I have now done two cross triathlons, I think I might continue with this.
In June I did a regular sprint triathlon in Waco Texas, and yes, I won my class.
Training has been going fabulous, and I was starting to feel like I could reach national elite level again. A little problem with my left leg still, but it was not getting worse. I did some very hard workouts on my bicycle trainer, and my Strava fitness score hit the roof. Life is good...
First of July, I flew to Sweden to compete and train and have a holiday with my family. July 4th was the Vansbroswim, 3km open water. For once the weather was okay, sunshine and water temperature around 70f. I had a great swim, one of my fastest at 1.04.
Unfortunately, I got a cold the day after and it stayed with me for four weeks.
I am now back home in Texas, and I have lost a lot of fitness. Have to build up again... I decided to not go to the Triathlon Nationals in August, and I decided already after Multisport Nationals that I will not go to Worlds in Pontevedra, Spain in September. I had started to regret that decision in June, but after the cold in July it was clear, I am not in shape. Maybe I had been overtraining.

Comments
Post a Comment