Make a plan

It is now time to plan for the 2021 competition season. This is a good idea for both the more serious competitors and the beginners. 

I go to the competition and events calendars and search for competitions I like to do. Note that the Ironman events are on a separate website. 

I type up all potential events on a spreadsheet with dates and location. From there I choose the key competitions, for example a championship, and this year I may try a half Ironman. These will be the focus, and the other events will serve as preparation. By making a plan, I ensure I get adequate training and rest before major competitions which helps performance on the day. I also plan travel dates and vacations away from home with the competition schedule in mind. 


Here in Texas, the season opens already in March and I am signing up to a sprint to get an early start. A few competitions really help in sharpening up routines and speed. I do not want to be flustered on an important competition, best to have a few practice runs first. 

But too many competitions are not good, there is always travel involved that takes away from training and competitions are draining, both physically and mentally. I like a balance with at least two weeks, and sometimes more, in between events (not always possible).

Due to uncertainties around corona, the 2021 season is still a bit unclear, some events may never happen. In any case, I plan ahead and I have about 8 triathlons on the schedule, most of them sprints but also an olympic distance and two middle distance (half ironman). I also intend to participate in two open water swimming events and in a major mountain biking ride. 

It will be fun!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23