Playtri Fort Worth Olympic Triathlon May 23

Rain and thunderstorms in the forecast for this Fort Worth Olympic distance triathlon. I had misgivings while driving five hours the day before; maybe the event would be canceled due to weather. But I had signed up, I had paid and I went.

Good job, I did. It was a gray day, but hardly a drop of rain! 

For the 1500m lake swim, I positioned myself in the middle of the field. I am not a great swimmer, and often I take a humble position in the back only to find that people are slow and blocking my progress. This time, I was not the slowest in my group, probably most people were faster. It made me feel like I had a bad swim when people passed, but I did what I am good at; swallowing my pride and push on. I could not believe my eyes when I came out of the water; clock said 33 minutes! That is fast for me. 

Transition 1 included a long uphill, I ran all the way and started to peel off the wetsuit. The bike leg consisted of two loops of about 12.5 miles, I had almost the same time on both loops. After the first lap, I was uncertain how to get out on the second loop, I made a small detour that costed me speed and time. Later on the course, I was unable to handle a left turn and ended up in the terrain. I did not hurt myself, I managed to get a foot out in time for the impact, but again, I lost speed and time. 

I started the run leg feeling ok, my aim was just below a 10 minutes/mile pace for the 6.2 miles. Run course was an out and back, and at turn-around I was tired. I had planned on drinking sport drink on the course, but only water was offered. My energy disappeared along the route and the last two miles, I just wanted it to end. I even walked a bit on flat ground, something I normally would never do. Basically, my energy depots were empty. Mile split was 10.19/mile.

After the race, I sat a long time on the ground and when I finally stood up, I was lightheaded and near fainting due to lack of sugar. I was in better shape after the half Ironman back in April. Somehow, I had not fueled enough for this race. I did drink an apple juice after the swim and I had diluted sport drink on the bike, but the run was as mentioned, only water supported. In hindsight, I think I should have taken an energy gel after the bike leg. 

I still got second place. Days after the event, I had difficulty in recovering and I had to schedule some extra rest days. 

I learned to place myself with faster swimmers, to check the course and especially transitions better, and to bring my own fuel for longer races. I live and I learn.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23