Kerrville Triathlon Festival (TX) September 24-25

This was a really great race weekend. On Saturday, the Rookie Sprint, a slightly shortened course with only 300m open water swim and a 2 mile run, while the bike leg was 14 miles. On Sunday, Quarter and Half Distance of the ironman lengths. I was intending to do the sprint as I have been polishing my speed for the Sprint World Championships in Bermuda in October, but as the championships got cancelled due to corona, I decided to do the quarter distance at Kerrville instead. After all, I am no rookie anymore, and I am in my home town, right?

The weekend came in with a cool front, which in September in the Texas hill country, is good news. I looked at the rookie race, and it was a glorious day, perfect temperatures, beautiful location and a flat course. Swim was in the Guadalupe river. The competition was big and well organized, I think about 1800 participants.

Swim Exit


Being a home competition, I definitely felt pressure to do well. I started to worry weeks in advance. Aches and pains seemed to crop up here and there, knees, hip, neck, foot... Normally, I really do not care about other competitors, I can't control them, I do my own race at my own pace. 

Woke up race morning and urinated almost nothing. What? Am I dehydrated? Why? I started to down liquids. On top of that, the dog refused breakfast and the freezer broke, creating a big puddle on the kitchen floor. I left my husband to deal with the sick dog and spoiling food.

Waiting for start I was peeing all the time, but the swim went well and I seemed to be flying on the 29 mile bike course. It felt like I made an appropriate effort on the bike, not going too hard, not slacking. Of course, being in my home town, I knew the route inside out. Average speed on the bike was 19.1 m/h which is good for me. I also plucked competitors that are better swimmers. 

I was thinking I would do well on the run, especially as I had felt comfortable on the bike. I fumbled on transition 2, and took time to down a gel and take extra drink. Run course was 6.5 miles, so a good hour still to go. I ran out, passed a guy who shouted "running is your thing" and settled into a sustainable speed on the Guadalupe river trail that I know very well. 

After half a mile, I recognized the tap, tap, tap, of one of my training buddies. I let her pass, she will crumble later, I thought. After all, the run had been my best leg on Ironman earlier in the year and last week I won a 5k race! As soon as she went by, I felt so tired. There was no idea to try to hang on her back. I saw her getting further and further away, and I struggled more and more. Then came another one. "Gunilla, come on," she shouted as she passed. I was walking, sometimes wobbling. The rest of the race became a struggle to just reach the finish line, walking and running very slowly. People were passing.

I still got third place in my age group on 3.10, which is a decent result. But I am disturbed about the total lack of energy at the end. I did not see it coming, and I was hydrating well. At Ironman, I managed my energy all the way to the end and that race lasted almost 7 hours, how can a 3 hour race be so draining?

I am not sure. I have cut down on long training sessions recently, training for the sprint World Championships. I still think the reaction was exaggerated, I had never trained 7 hours for Ironman and I still did it in style. Maybe I am just too old, maybe it was something with the hydration, maybe I am out of shape, or maybe I went too hard on the bike. Going hard on the bike always result in a slow run for me. Slow bike = fast run, fast bike = slow run. 

Still, It was a great competition. I recommend it, if you are in the area.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23