Cross-country skiing

This year, at age 64 and at the upper end of my age group, I decided to do some sporting events just for the experience. 

The Vasaloppet cross-country ski race in Sweden has been on my bucket list for a long time and now I have gone for it. It is the largest cross-country ski race in the world. 

It is also a special year 2022, since it is the 100 year jubilee since the first race 1902! 

The full race is 90 km (56 miles), but I worried this would be too much for me, so I signed up for half distance, 45 km (28 miles).

To prepare myself, I have rented a hut in Sweden for 4 weeks in a location close to the race and I bought equipment, skis, poles and shoes. I did a bit of cross-country skiing when I was young, so I had an idea how to get decent gear that fits my ski style, weight and height.

I have now been in Sweden almost two weeks and I am humbled. This is harder than I remember. My Strava segments are telling me the truth; I am slow, slow, slow. Not so impressive to be number 10217 on a segment... I am glad I went for half the race, it is obvious it will take many hours for me to complete. I have pushed so hard on the poles I have injured my right arm. I have fallen and got back ache. Nothing really serious, but its tough to cross country ski.  It is also a lot of fun.

To celebrate, a 100 year race was arranged last week, a few selected participants raced in original clothes and equipment. The winner took almost 7 hours, and most many hours more than that!





Winner of 100 year jubilee race on the course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23