Mind Games

It is not great to be old and find your physique declining every year. On the other hand, with time, I have gathered some helpful experiences. 

For one, I am convinced that our environment and relationship to people around us shape our success far more than most people think. Too many setbacks and put downs make us shrink, mentally and physically. Yes, physically too.

We grow on success. I guess too much success can destroy people, it is not something I have personal experience from. I have noticed that easy early success for children can be negative for them, they do not value what they can achieve and throw their talent away. How can it be valuable, it was so easy, right? 

photo by George Becker (Pexels)


Here is a scenario I have seen time and time again: A slower cyclist/runner falls behind in a friendly training session, the gap just gets bigger and bigger. It is not fun for anyone, but especially not for the person behind. They are struggling and suffering on the edge of their capacity. If they even turn up next time, they say "I am slower than you guys, so I will start a little ahead and you can catch me up." 

What usually happens is that we never catch up, or it takes a long time. When you are ahead, your physique performs better.

Another scenario: A cyclist/runner is joining a new training group and is worried about keeping up. They say, "I am not feeling that great today, I have a headache/allergy/did not sleep/sore/tired from yesterday/out of shape." And they mean it.

The group starts, and the athlete realizes they have no problems keeping up. Toward the end they pull away and after the workout say, "This was so much fun, I am feeling great today."

This is happening on a subconscious level, but it is a real physical effect. Your body works better when you feel you are doing well.

Give yourself appropriate challenges. If you are always the best, you will stagnate, but winning every now and then is good for you. It is not good for you to always be last. Many people assure that they don't mind at all, they are fine with it, and they mean what they say. But they are kidding themselves. 

Losing makes you shrink. A lot.

photo by Henry & Co (Pexels)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23