Rock 'n' Roll San Antonio 10k Running Race

Back in early October, the triathlon season was almost over, and some of my friends and I decided to take a challenge with an off-season running competition. We signed up for the San Antonio Rock 'n' Roll race. I committed to the 10k, and my friends to the half marathon, (they are a lot younger than me).

It looks like I have a hat!

Since then, I have focused more on the running doing weekly10k workouts. In order to not get injuries, I only run about every 4th day, alternating the long run with a shorter and faster workout. In October, it was still very hot, so I did 4 loops of about 2.5km from my house, and I kept drinks and gels on a garden wall to pick up as I was lapping. I am realizing more and more how important it is to stay hydrated, but I don't like to carry anything when I am running.

Every week, I was a little faster than the week before, going from about 1 hour to 56 minutes in a few weeks on the slightly hilly loop course. Mid November, I tried the local river trail that is very flat. It was a little cooler this day (maybe 50f.) but I carried a small flask with water, and a small energy gel for halfway. It worked out, and my mile split was 8.42, the fastest 6 miles I had run since my youth.


Meanwhile, my friends were doing many long runs and some 5k fun runs and clearly improving, we were all on a roll with running. At Thanksgiving, I ran a 5k fun run. It went really well for about 4.5km, there was no one in sight ahead of me and I knew I was going for a good time. I came to a road crossing and there was no sign. Far away to the right I saw a runner and I chased after with all I had, knowing I was near the end. A few people were right behind. I saw a drink station but not the finish and I shouted, "where is the finish". The people just looked at me, and I stopped with the other people behind me. Long story short; we were on the 10k course. By the time I found the way back, I had 43 minutes and had covered 5 miles (not 3.1).  

One of my friends was behind me, but someone with her found the missing sign (it had blown over) and it pointed to the left so the rest of the field found their way. They were happy, but I was not very happy. I had to remind myself it was a charity fun run.


My personalized Bib!

Early December was the San Antonio Rock 'n' Roll race, and I was very motivated. Weather was quite good, about 60f, cloudy but no rain. My son had also signed up, so it was really fun to go together. All the 10k training paid off, I knew what pace to keep in order to last the distance. The course was fairly flat and had two drink stations with water. I decided to not take anything at the first station, but that may have been a mistake. I soon started to feel thirsty and a little more fatigued, but nothing dramatic. I stopped at the second station, even if it would cost me time. I took two mugs, drank about half and poured the rest over my head. The effect was immediate, I got energy, it was just easier to run and on my smart watch, I can see that my heart rate went up. 



I finished in style and on 54.52 and 1st in my age group; 60-64. It was especially good as I am 65 in a little over month. My son did a good time, and my friends completed their half marathons on times a better than expected. 

A good end to this year's competitions! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Carbon plated running shoes

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23