Recovery

As Vasaloppet went fine, I thought I take a few days off and I would recover quickly and be in amazing form. Strava is saying I am in the form of my life, although fatigue factor is quite high. It has not been so straightforward.

I rested completely while travelling for two full days. I arrived back in Texas, and on the third day, I thought I do a slow 5k jog to start up again. It was slow, really slow, but my body told me it was racing speed. Afterwards, my legs were dead. It was worrying and I thought I may be getting sick.

I rested another day and agreed to do a slow bike ride with my friends. It was slow, too slow, how slow can it be? I took off with a faster group and I felt fine. Great! I am back, I am recovered!

Not so fast. After resting one day again (just to be careful) I decided on a bike and run brick repeat, 5km bike and 1 mile hill run, 3 times over. I have done this exercise several times before, and I quite enjoy it. It is hard, but the constant transitions give a bit of respite in between max efforts. This time, it felt hard right away. I tried to push through, but the clock did not lie, I was very slow. And every repeat slower than the previous. A very heavy guy on a bike casually breezed by me while I was trying to sprint. Afterwards I had a headache, my legs were exhausted, and the tired feeling lasted into the next day!

One more day of rest, and then I went for 1 hour speed ride with my friends. I was worried I would not be able to keep up, but I really did not have any problems. After the ride, I decided to run my 1mile hill track, just to see if I could do a good time. I did a new PR, a full minute faster than my worst time only two days earlier.

I am not sure what is going on, but I think it has to do with the recovery. I am guessing I depleted my energy stores on the 90 km cross country ski race, and that my body have limited energy available to work with. I am now paying more attention to my food and made a few meals very carbohydrate rich. We will see how it goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carbon plated running shoes

Do not wait until it is too late!

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23