"You may never run again"

That is what the podiatrist told me when he saw the recent X-ray of my left foot. It has a small chip broken off the fourth metatarsal bone. 

It happened on the Kerrville triathlon September 25; I felt a sharp pain already on the swim. Maybe I hurt myself warming up, maybe someone stepped on my foot. I have had a previous injury at the same place, something called Morton's neuroma, so I thought it was the same thing. I have actually had pain right there on and off for about two years. "Forget Morton's," said the Dr., "this is a broken bone." In hindsight, I wonder if I have had a crack for a while. Bottom line: I don't know how it happened.

When I told the podiatrist, I had completed a quarter distance triathlon with the broken foot he laughed and said I must have high tolerance for pain. There is no clear treatment, If I continue to have pain, removal of the bone chip may be the solution. For now, it is wait and see and NO RUNNING.

After 5 and a half years with only minor issues, have recently had a whole string of problems. In August I had "bicycle knee", In September I had Covid, and now this. Maybe it is a sign that I am exhausted? Or maybe it is just a coincidence. I am taking it quite easy right now and my fitness is definitely going down even though I am swimming and biking and doing some strength training. This time of the year it is ok to take it a bit slower and all the injuries have given me free time to do other things.

Letting my dog race 100 yards dash in AKC Fast Course Aptitude Tests, for example! Like "mom" she is competitive.


So much fun to run!!!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23

Carbon plated running shoes