Things are falling apart...

I have been fortunate. For over 5 years, I have had no significant illness or injury forcing me off training. But since about August this year, I have had a string of setbacks. First a wonky knee, then Covid, then a broken bone in my foot, then a cold and now my only road bike broke. It can be mended; it is just another obstacle. Like the foot, it can be run on cautiously, the cold and Covid are gone, I am fine.


Until now, I have seen a steady progression of my performance, despite getting older. But I have regressed quite a bit. Last year, I steadily ran below a 9-minute mile, the question was if I would go below 8.30 or not on a 5k. Now a 9-minute mile on my regular training runs are hard to do. 

It was inevitable, I am getting older and the recent training breaks have had a negative effect on my performance. I am not sure if I ever can get back to the form I had in 2023. It was more fun when I was getting better, but it had to come to en end, aging always wins. But I am also in an older age group now, so relatively to my peers, I am staying the same. That is what I am hoping.

I shall not complain too much, I have reached and gone beyond all my wildest expectations the last few years. And I have had a lot of fun, enjoyed every moment. I don't know if I will find it so fun to compete at a lower level. Right now, I am just going through the motions with my training, the real motivation is not there. I will have to think up some new and interesting goals, different from previous ones.

First goal is identified: Winter Triathlon in Breckenridge (Colorado) in February! A first for me, lots of challenges doing run, bike and ski (cross country). Hard to train skiing in Texas to start with. 

(photo by Susanne Jutzeler)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not wait until it is too late!

Multisport National Championship Festival Irving TX April 19-23

Carbon plated running shoes